(click here for less standard but outdated pic)
I am a Gibbs Assistant Professor in the Math Department at Yale. I can be reached via
Office: 456 DL
Department of Mathematics
10 Hillhouse Avenue
New Haven, CT 06510
My main field of research is analysis, where I like questions combining PDEs, geometry, spectral theory and harmonic analysis. cv.
Fall 2016: Math 230 (Vector Calculus and Linear Algebra)
Office Hours: Wednesday 4pm - 6pm
All relevant information will be posted in the canvas system. In case of questions, send me an email.
Most of my recent work is on the arxiv:
- (with Manas Rachh) On the location of maxima of solutions of Schroedinger's equation, arxiv
- Refined Heinz-Kato-Loewner inequalities, arxiv
- (with Yuke Li, Tianhao Wu and Nicholas Marshall) Extracting Geography from Trade Data, arxiv
- (with Alex Cloninger) Spectral Echolocation via the Wave Embedding, arxiv
- Well-Distributed Great Circles on S^2, arxiv
- (with Raphy Coifman and Hau-tieng Wu) Carrier frequencies, holomorphy and unwinding, arxiv
- (with Roy Lederman) Stability Estimates for Truncated Fourier and Laplace Transforms, arxiv
- (with Alex Cloninger) On Suprema of Autoconvolutions with an Application to Sidon sets, arxiv
- Fast Escape in Incompressible Vector Fields, arxiv
- (with Felipe Goncalves and Diogo Oliveira e Silva) Hermite polynomials, linear flows on the torus, and an uncertainty principle for roots, arxiv
- (with Jakob Kapeller) Emergent phenomena in scientific publishing: a simulation exercise, Research Policy, accepted.
- (with Markus Faulhuber) Optimal Gabor frame bounds for separable lattices and estimates for Jacobi theta functions, arxiv, J. Math. Anal. Appl., accepted.
- Localization of Quantum States and Landscape Functions, arxiv, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc., accepted.
- (with Raphy Coifman) Nonlinear phase unwinding of functions arxiv, Journal of Fourier Analysis and Applications, accepted.
- A Hidden Signal in the Ulam sequence, arxiv, Experimental Mathematics, accepted.
- (with Alberto Enciso and Daniel Peralta-Salas) Prescribing the nodal set of the first eigenfunction in each conformal class, arxiv, IMRN, accepted.
- A Rigidity Phenomenon for the Hardy-Littlewood maximal function, Studia Mathematica, accepted, arxiv
- Directional Poincare Inequalities along Mixing Flows, Arkiv för Matematik, accepted, arxiv.
- A Filtering Technique for Markov Chains with Applications to Spectral Embedding, Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis , 40 (2016), 575-587, arxiv.
- (with Florian Pausinger) On the Discrepancy of Jittered Sampling, Journal of Complexity, 33 (2016), 199-216, arxiv
- (with Rima Al-Aifari and Lillian Pierce) Lower bounds for the truncated Hilbert transform, Revista Matematica Iberoamericana, 32 (2016), 23-56, arxiv.
- An Uncertainty Principle on compact manifolds, Journal of Fourier Analysis and Applications, 21 (2015), 575-599 arxiv.
- (with Herbert Koch) Convolution Estimates for Singular Measures and Some Global Nonlinear Brascamp-Lieb
Inequalities, arxiv, Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 145 (2015), 1223–1237.
- Sharp L^1 Poincare inequalities correspond to optimal hypersurface cuts, Archiv der Mathematik, 105 (2015), 179-188 arxiv.
- On the Number of Positions in Chess without Promotion, International Journal of Game Theory 44, 761-767 (2015).
- (with Florian Pausinger) Local Extrema in Quantum Chaos, Physics Letters A, 379 (2015), 535-541 arxiv.
- Lower bounds on nodal sets of eigenfunctions via the heat flow, Communications in Partial Differential Equations, 39 (2014), arxiv.
- New Bounds for the Traveling Salesman Constant, Advances in Applied Probability, 47 (2015), arxiv.
- A Remark on Disk Packings and Numerical Integration of Harmonic Functions, Journal of Complexity: Oberwolfach Special Issue 31 (2015), 486-493, arxiv.
- Dispersion dynamics for the generalized Korteweg-de Vries equation, Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 143 (2015), 789-800, arxiv.
- A Geometric Uncertainty Principle with an Application to Pleijel's Estimate, Annales Henri Poincare, 15 (2014), 2299 - 2319, arxiv.
- A Short Note on Integer Complexity, Contributions to Discrete Mathematics 9 (2014), 63 - 69
- (with Michaela Nieuwenhuis and James Robinson ), Minimal Periods for Ordinary Differential Equations in
Strictly Convex Banach Spaces and Explicit Bounds for some L^p-Spaces, Journal of Differential Equations 256 (2014), 2846 - 2857, arxiv.
- (with Jakob Kapeller) Modeling the Evolution of Preferences: An Answer to Schubert and Cordes, Journal of Institutional Economics 10 (2014), 337- 347 pdf.
- (with Jakob Kapeller and Bernhard Schuetz ) The Impossibility of Rational Consumer Choice - A Problem and its Solution.
Journal of Evolutionary Economics 23 (2013) 29 - 60, link.
- (with Jakob Kapeller) How Formalism shapes Perception: An Experiment on Mathematics as a Language, International Journal of Pluralism and Economics Education
4 (2013): 138 - 156.
- Random restricted matching and lower bounds for combinatorial optimization.
Journal of Combinatorial Optimization 24 (2012) no.3, 280 - 298, link.
- (with Erhard Aichinger) A proof of a Theorem by Fried and MacRae and applications to the composition of polynomial functions,
Archiv der Mathematik 97 (2011) no.2, 115-124, link.
- On the optimal interpoint distance sum inequality,
Archiv der Mathematik 97 (2011) no.3, 289-298., link.
- Extremal uniform distribution and random chord lengths,
Acta Mathematica Hungarica 130 (2011) no.4, 321-339, link.
- A note on implicitly defined sets in uniform distribution theory,
Uniform Distribution Theory 6 (2011) no.2, 85-94, link.
- The asymptotic behavior of the average $L^p-$discrepancies and a randomized discrepancy,
The Electronic Journal of Combinatorics 17 (2010) R106, link.
- A New Lower Bound for the Geometric Traveling Salesman Problem in Terms of Discrepancy,
Operations Research Letters 38 (2010) no. 4, 318-319, link.
- A note on the number of different inner products generated by a finite set of vectors,
Discrete Mathematics 310 (2010) no. 5, 1112-1117, link.
- Uniform distribution preserving mappings and variational problems Uniform Distribution Theory 4 (2009) no. 1, 117-145, link.
- (with Friedrich Pillichshammer) Average distance between consecutive points of uniformly distributed sequences,
Uniform Distribution Theory 4 (2009) no. 1, 51-67, link.
Princeton, Ergodic Theory Seminar (11. Feb.)
Urbana-Champaign, Colloquium (18. Feb)
Indiana University, Analysis Seminar (9. Mar)
Harmonic Analysis, Graphs and Learning, Hausdorff Center for Mathematics, Bonn (14. - 18. Mar)
TU Munich, Geometry Seminar (23. Mar)
Brown, PDE Seminar (15. April)
Duke, Analysis Seminar (2. May)
Conference in Harmonic Analysis in Honor of Michael Christ, Wisconsin-Madison (16. May - 20. May)
University of Vienna (2. Jun)
Time-Frequency Analysis and Related Topics, Strobl (Austria) (6. Jun - 10. Jun)
Discrepancy Theory, Varenna (Italy) (12. Jun - 18. Jun)
Williams College, (5. Jul - 7. Jul)
Yale, Analysis Seminar (20. Sep.)
University of Oregon, Analysis Seminar (4. Oct.)
University of Wisconsin-Madison, Analysis Seminar (25. Oct.)
Toronto, Analysis Seminar (25. Nov.)
Princeton, IDeAS Seminar (30. Nov.)
AMS Sectional Meeting in Bloomington, Indiana (1.-2. Apr.)
University of Minnesota (2. May)
Oberwolfach: Real Analysis, Harmonic Analysis, and Applications (23 - 29 Jul.)