(click here for less standard but outdated pic)
I am an Assistant Professor in the Math Department at Yale. I can be reached via
Office: 456 DL
Department of Mathematics
10 Hillhouse Avenue
New Haven, CT 06510
My main field of research is analysis, where I like questions combining PDEs, geometry, spectral theory and harmonic analysis.
Fall 2017: MATH 310 (Introduction to Complex Analysis)
Spring 2018: MATH 247 (Partial Differential Equations)
Office Hours: tbd
All relevant information will be posted in the canvas system. In case of questions, send me an email.
- Oscillatory functions vanish on a large set, arxiv
- Exponential Sums and Riesz energies, arxiv, Journal of Number Theory, accepted
- (with Nick Marshall) Triangles capturing many lattice points, arxiv
- (with George Linderman) Clustering with t-SNE, provably, arxiv
- (with Xiuyuan Cheng and Gal Mishne) The Geometry of Nodal Sets and Outlier Detection, arxiv
- Topological Bounds on Fourier Coefficients and Applications to Torsion, arxiv
- (with Noah Kravitz) Ulam Sequences and Ulam sets, arxiv
- (with Florian Pausinger and Manas Rachh) Optimal Jittered Sampling for Two Points in the Unit Square, arxiv
- (with Uri Shaham) Stochastic Neighbor Embedding separates well-separated clusters, arxiv
- (with Bogdan Georgiev and Mayukh Mukherjee) A Spectral Gap Estimate and Applications, arxiv
- (with Jianfeng Lu) A Variation on the Donsker-Varadhan Inequality for the Principal Eigenvalue, arxiv, Proc. Royal Soc. A, accepted.
- (with Xiuyuan Cheng and Manas Rachh) On the Diffusion Geometry of Graph Laplacians and Applications, arxiv
- Well-Distributed Great Circles on S^2, arxiv
- (with Jakob Kapeller) Stability, Fairness and Random Walks in the Bargaining Problem, arxiv, Physica A, accepted,
- Fast Escape in Incompressible Vector Fields, arxiv
- (with Jakob Kapeller and Matthias Aistleitner) The Power of Scientometrics and the Development of Economics, Journal of Economics Issues, accepted.
- Localized Quantitative Criteria for Equidistribution, arxiv, Acta Arithmetica, accepted.
- (with Manas Rachh) On the location of maxima of solutions of Schroedinger's equation, arxiv, Comm. Pure. Appl. Math., accepted.
- (with Raphy Coifman and Hau-tieng Wu) Carrier frequencies, holomorphy and unwinding, arxiv, SIAM J. Math. Anal., accepted.
- (with Roy Lederman) Stability Estimates for Truncated Fourier and Laplace Transforms, arxiv, Integral Equations and Operator Theory, accepted.
- An amusing sequence of functions, arxiv, Mathematics Magazine, accepted.
- (with Alex Cloninger) On Suprema of Autoconvolutions with an Application to Sidon sets, arxiv, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc., accepted.
- (with Alex Cloninger) Spectral Echolocation via the Wave Embedding, arxiv, Appl. Comp. Harm. Anal., accepted.
- Refined Heinz-Kato-Loewner inequalities, arxiv, Journal of Spectral Theory, accepted.
- Localization of Quantum States and Landscape Functions, arxiv, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc., accepted.
- A Hidden Signal in the Ulam sequence, arxiv, Experimental Mathematics, accepted.
- (with Raphy Coifman) Nonlinear phase unwinding of functions arxiv, Journal of Fourier Analysis and Applications, accepted.
- (with Felipe Goncalves and Diogo Oliveira e Silva) Hermite polynomials, linear flows on the torus, and an uncertainty principle for roots, arxiv, J. Math. Anal. Appl., 451 p. 678-711 (2017).
- (with Markus Faulhuber) Optimal Gabor frame bounds for separable lattices and estimates for Jacobi theta functions, arxiv, J. Math. Anal. Appl., 445 , 407-422 (2017).
- (with Yuke Li, Tianhao Wu and Nicholas Marshall) Extracting Geography from Trade Data, arxiv, Physica A, 473 p. 205-212 (2017)
- (with Jakob Kapeller) Emergent phenomena in scientific publishing: a simulation exercise, Research Policy 45 , p. 1945-1952 (2016).
- (with Alberto Enciso and Daniel Peralta-Salas) Prescribing the nodal set of the first eigenfunction in each conformal class, arxiv, IMRN, 54 , 555-569.
- Directional Poincare Inequalities along Mixing Flows, Arkiv för Matematik 54 , 555-569, 2016 arxiv .
- A Filtering Technique for Markov Chains with Applications to Spectral Embedding, Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis , 40 (2016), 575-587, arxiv.
- (with Florian Pausinger) On the Discrepancy of Jittered Sampling, Journal of Complexity, 33 (2016), 199-216, arxiv
- (with Rima Al-Aifari and Lillian Pierce) Lower bounds for the truncated Hilbert transform, Revista Matematica Iberoamericana, 32 (2016), 23-56, arxiv.
- A Rigidity Phenomenon for the Hardy-Littlewood maximal function, Studia Mathematica, 229 , 263-278 (2015), arxiv
- An Uncertainty Principle on compact manifolds, Journal of Fourier Analysis and Applications, 21 (2015), 575-599 arxiv.
- (with Herbert Koch) Convolution Estimates for Singular Measures and Some Global Nonlinear Brascamp-Lieb
Inequalities, arxiv, Proc. Roy. Soc. Edinburgh, 145 (2015), 1223–1237.
- Sharp L^1 Poincare inequalities correspond to optimal hypersurface cuts, Archiv der Mathematik, 105 (2015), 179-188 arxiv.
- On the Number of Positions in Chess without Promotion, International Journal of Game Theory 44, 761-767 (2015).
- (with Florian Pausinger) Local Extrema in Quantum Chaos, Physics Letters A, 379 (2015), 535-541 arxiv.
- Lower bounds on nodal sets of eigenfunctions via the heat flow, Communications in Partial Differential Equations, 39 (2014), arxiv.
- New Bounds for the Traveling Salesman Constant, Advances in Applied Probability, 47 (2015), arxiv.
- A Remark on Disk Packings and Numerical Integration of Harmonic Functions, Journal of Complexity: Oberwolfach Special Issue 31 (2015), 486-493, arxiv.
- Dispersion dynamics for the generalized Korteweg-de Vries equation, Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 143 (2015), 789-800, arxiv.
- A Geometric Uncertainty Principle with an Application to Pleijel's Estimate, Annales Henri Poincare, 15 (2014), 2299 - 2319, arxiv.
- A Short Note on Integer Complexity, Contributions to Discrete Mathematics 9 (2014), 63 - 69
- (with Michaela Nieuwenhuis and James Robinson ), Minimal Periods for Ordinary Differential Equations in
Strictly Convex Banach Spaces and Explicit Bounds for some L^p-Spaces, Journal of Differential Equations 256 (2014), 2846 - 2857, arxiv.
- (with Jakob Kapeller) Modeling the Evolution of Preferences: An Answer to Schubert and Cordes, Journal of Institutional Economics 10 (2014), 337- 347 pdf.
- (with Jakob Kapeller and Bernhard Schuetz ) The Impossibility of Rational Consumer Choice - A Problem and its Solution.
Journal of Evolutionary Economics 23 (2013) 29 - 60, link.
- (with Jakob Kapeller) How Formalism shapes Perception: An Experiment on Mathematics as a Language, International Journal of Pluralism and Economics Education
4 (2013): 138 - 156.
- Random restricted matching and lower bounds for combinatorial optimization.
Journal of Combinatorial Optimization 24 (2012) no.3, 280 - 298, link.
- (with Erhard Aichinger) A proof of a Theorem by Fried and MacRae and applications to the composition of polynomial functions,
Archiv der Mathematik 97 (2011) no.2, 115-124, link.
- On the optimal interpoint distance sum inequality,
Archiv der Mathematik 97 (2011) no.3, 289-298., link.
- Extremal uniform distribution and random chord lengths,
Acta Mathematica Hungarica 130 (2011) no.4, 321-339, link.
- A note on implicitly defined sets in uniform distribution theory,
Uniform Distribution Theory 6 (2011) no.2, 85-94, link.
- The asymptotic behavior of the average $L^p-$discrepancies and a randomized discrepancy,
The Electronic Journal of Combinatorics 17 (2010) R106, link.
- A New Lower Bound for the Geometric Traveling Salesman Problem in Terms of Discrepancy,
Operations Research Letters 38 (2010) no. 4, 318-319, link.
- A note on the number of different inner products generated by a finite set of vectors,
Discrete Mathematics 310 (2010) no. 5, 1112-1117, link.
- Uniform distribution preserving mappings and variational problems Uniform Distribution Theory 4 (2009) no. 1, 117-145, link.
- (with Friedrich Pillichshammer) Average distance between consecutive points of uniformly distributed sequences,
Uniform Distribution Theory 4 (2009) no. 1, 51-67, link.
Stanford (19.-20. Jan.)
AMS Sectional Meeting in Bloomington, Indiana (1.-2. Apr.)
Geometry, Analysis and Probability, Conference in Honor of P. Jones 65th birthday, KIAS (Seoul) (8.-12. May)
Combinatorial and Additive Number Theory (CANT 2017), New York (23.-26. May)
Oberwolfach: Real Analysis, Harmonic Analysis, and Applications (23 - 29 Jul.)
Duke (9.-11. Aug.)
Tractability of High Dimensional Problems and Discrepancy, Erwin Schrodinger Institute, Vienna (25.Sep. - 29.Sep.)
Colloquium, Binghamton (19. Oct.)
SIAM PDE 2017, Baltimore (9.-12.Dec.)
Bristol (10.-12. Jan)
Meeting on Sampling, Uncertainty Principles, and Combinatorial Methods in Harmonic Analysis, BCAM (Bilbao), (15.-17. Jan)
Memorial Conference in Honor of Alan McIntosh, ANU (Canberra) (10.-17. Feb.)
Optimal and Random Point Configurations (26. Feb - 2. Mar), ICERM
Harmonic Analysis and Applications (3. Jun - 9. Jun), Strobl (Austria)
Harmonic Analysis, IAS/Park City, Utah (July)